Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Sunday, October 10, 2010

"The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane" by Russell Freeman

Freeman, Russell (1991). The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane. New York, NY:

Scholastic, Inc.
1992 Newbery Honor Book

This fabulously designed book details the adventurous experiments that Wilbur and Orville Wright meticulously undertook to prove that the impossibility of flight could actually be very possible! Freedman includes many inspiring photographs of the experiments and of the pioneering Wright brothers themselves. The artistic narrative is exciting and flows very smoothly. The reader cannot help but be intrigued and proud of these American heroes.

I visited the Air and Space Museum and actually had tears run down my cheeks as I visited the Wright Brothers Exhibit in Gallery 209. I had the opportunity to view close-up the historical 1903 Wright Flyer that changed the world! I wish I had read Russel Freedman's book before I had seen the exhibit because it would have steeped me in the Wright brother's history and prepared me to be more in awe of the things I saw at the exhibit. I was still in awe at the time, but Freedman's book helped the appreciation become even deeper. I have a strong desire now to revisit the exhibit with my new knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment