Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Verdi" by Janell Cannon

Cannon, Janell (1997). Verdi. New York, NY: Scholastic, Inc.

1999 Bluebonnet Award Winner


The end of the book reflects how I feel. I have aged into a "new color" and my new "vintaged" body is not the one I prefer, but I am still ME!

Even the title of the book foreshadows the ending. "Verdi" is a term that means green, even if Verdi is yellow when the book begins. Verdi was always and will always be himself!!! He just needs to accept himself at every stage of his life!

Verdi is a modern parable about the fear of growing up (or growing old) and becoming what grown ups seem to be. Inevitably, growing up and growing old will come. How one welcomes (or not!) these changes makes all the difference in the quality of life one lives...

The art is so realistic, that each illustration almost looks like a photograph! It was so beautiful to look at while I enjoyed where the story was taking me! This is a great coming of age book!

No comments:

Post a Comment