Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Saturday, October 23, 2010

"The Man Who Walked Between the Towers" by Mordicai Gerstein

Gerstein, Mordicai (2003). The Man Who Walked Between the Towers. Brookfield, CT: Roaring Book Press.

2004 Caldecott Medal Book


I had never heard of the French aerialist Phillipe Petit, but Gerstein's introduction forced me to become intrigued!

Gerstein's use of a concise amount of words encased in very detailed illustrations brought Phillipe's story to me in a very imaginative way! The story centers around the World Trade Center and how Phillipe made a tight-rope journey between the buildings brings in 1974. There is an inevitable sad tone to the story because of what we now know happened 27 years after Phillipe completed his historic journey.

The Twin Towers came back to life for me. I began to imagine how alive everyone inside the buildings must have felt while they were awaiting Phillipe to finish his daring feat with his feet! Beautifully designed and created in honor of the fallen towers, Gerstein's book is one I am glad to have purchased for my personal collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment