Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Friday, October 22, 2010

"Arrorro, Mi Nino" by Lulu Delacre

Delacre, Lulu (2004). Arrorro, Mi Nino. New York, NY: Lee & Low Books, Inc.

2006 Pura Belpre Honor: Illustration

I met Lulu Delacre and spoke to her briefly about this book at the ALA conference in Washington D.C. She was so approachable and very excited while talking about motherhood and the common songs we shared with our children as we have reared them. I, too, grew up with these songs that Delacre has selected for her illustrated book, and so they take me back to the days of my childhood and the days when my three children were welcomed into our world!

The songs and chants selected for the book are musical staples in the hispanic world! I was so glad to find out that Delacre had made sure to create a CD to accompany the book, since you really can't appreciate an oral tradition in only print! The CD pieces are each so beautiful. From a music teacher's perspective and a Latina reared with these songs and chants, the CD is superbly done! The book's design is beautiful to say the least, and Delacre's art is just memorizing! It is so soothing and rich in detail; she is a true artist! I brought the book and CD from the Washington D. C./ ALA trip and am so very glad to have done so!

No comments:

Post a Comment