Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Los Gatos Black on Halloween" by Marisa Montes and Illustrated by Yuyi Morales

Montes, Marisa (2006). Los Gatos Black on Halloween. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company.

Illustrated by Yuyi Morales.

2007 Notable Children's Book - Young Readers

Oh, the Spanish mixed with English in this story...!!!

This mixed-language poetry is music to my ears! This mixed language is MY language! I am neither an English speaker or a Spanish speaker, but a Spanglish speaker, and this libro is how those beautiful languages truly intertwine to make a sing-song rhythmic flow of a very entertaining Halloween tale! Yes, that is how true bilinguals think in their head: Both languages live inside the cabeza as one!

The musical language in the book is a wonderful read-aloud and it takes me back to my childhood with my Mama Grande Adelina and our familia's Halloween celebrations mixed with El Dia de los Santos! Yuyi Morales visually captures my mixed Spanish and Mexican heritage in this enchanting book with so much detail!! From a musicians perspective, even the harpsichord is true to reality!!! I am so glad I ordered this book to keep! It pulls on my corazon-strings so very hard!!

No comments:

Post a Comment