Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney

Kinney, Jeff (2007). Diary of a Wimpy Kid. New York, NY: Amulet Books.

The New York Times Bestseller List

Hilarious!

Greg's diary sure opens my eyes to the mysterious world of boys! It helps me understand my 13 and 11 year-old sons! No wonder they eat these "wimpy" books up!

Greg is trying to survive middle school and come out somewhat ahead, but life seems to just make everything that much harder! Greg just can't get ahead: from Greg's mom substituting in his class on the day he was planning to become popular by outwitting the substitute, to the comic strip that was supposed to put Greg in the map but just couldn't because it was edited to death. Bummer after bummer comes through!

My boys will read and re-read these books over and over! I never took the time to find out what all the fuss was about, but now I am glad I did! I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book is absolutely funny and a joy to read! I laughed at all the same parts my kiddos did and we now have even more to talk about; they even think I am a little bit cool for reading the book! Jim Kinney has a short interview out that really helps put the books in context. I shared it with my boys and they now have a better appreciation for the books! An author visit from Kinney would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment