Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Arrow to the Sun" by Gerald McDermott

McDermott, Gerald (1974). Arrow to the Sun: A Pueblo Indian Tale. New York, NY : Puffin Books.

1975 Caldecott medal Books


The artwork in this lovely book is perfect for expressing the American Indian tale retold by Gerald McDermott.

The tale of the boy who had the Sun as his father is retold simply, but it is done very well. It is done in the traditional folktale style that makes the retelling more authentic to its source.


I enjoyed the artwork very much since it seems very authentic to the Pueblo art I have seen during summer travels with my family.

I was also enchanted by the tale the art represented. I had never heard the tale before, but was surprised to find many common elements with the Christian story of the Son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment