Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Anne Frank: Her Life in Words and Pictures" by Menno Metselaar and Ruud van der Rol

Metselaar, Menno, Ruud van der Rol, and Arnold J. Pomerans (2009). Anne Frank: Her life in words and pictures from the archives of the Anne Frank House. Brookfield, CT: Roaring Brook Press.

2010 Notable Children's Book - Middle Readers

This seemingly small book is quite heavy in more ways than one. It is made with quality paper and quality words and design. It also carries a very heavy message from a solitary short life that was extinguished brutally.

Of course I have read and heard about Anne Frank since my childhood. However, this "little" book stirred me much more than any other Anne Frank book or presentation has ever done. That was mostly due to the superb and simple writing done by the compilers/authors and the photos placed in the perfect place in each page. The combination of both the words and the photographs was quite moving in a way I cannot express easily. It comes across as a beautiful tribute in an "artistic museum" kind of way. I felt like I was personally introduced to Anne after I finished the book, and the last quote left me very haunted.

No comments:

Post a Comment