Lost in a Book

Lost in a Book


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Phreaky Photos

Dr. Melvyn Willin is Honorary Archive Officer for the Society of Psychical Research in London and The Paranormal Caught on Film follows another of his books: Ghosts Caught on Film. In Paranormal he discusses the photos in five categories: 1. Ghostly Figures, 2. Strange Lights & Apparitions, 3. Simulacra (natural objects bearing a strange resemblance to living or mythical/divine things), 4. The Unexplained: Poltergeists & other Phenomena, and 5. Back from the Dead.
The Paranormal Caught on Film is one of YALSA's 2010 Top Ten Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers and I can see why. It is visually appealing and its subject matter made an "old lady" like me want to own the book! I like the fact that Willin does not try and hammer into the reader that the paranormal absolutely exists. Willins begins his introduction with "Welcome to the world of the extremely weird" and in the introduction's last paragraph, he simply says "Hopefully everyone will find it thought-provoking..." He explains paranormal lingo with a very academic approach that helps readers understand how the "extremely weird" is studied.
How did I put this book to the test in my household? Well, I tried handing the book over to my 14-year-old daughter who kept looking over my shoulder to stare at it while I was reading it and kept asking about it. But when I was through and said, "Here," she just said, "Umm, it's okay, Mom, I really don't want to touch it."
Now, I think that comment sealed the deal that the book is definitely thought-provoking...

No comments:

Post a Comment